Tales From The Pantry: A Butler's Diary

From the pantry of an historic country house comes the ongoing diary of its butler, Mr Dean Fielding. I shall be giving you a glimpse of the family I serve and of the lives both 'Below Stairs' and 'Above'. I hope you follow my jottings daily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Have been butler here for over 15 years. Having previously, and unusually for these days, worked my way up from footman to under-butler to my current post. You can now follow me on Twitter via: http://www.twitter.com/butlerfielding

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rumbled!


I have been quiet. Very quiet. In fact I would have received approving looks from librarians for my lack of chatter of late. I am sure speculation has been rife (from the handful of people who read this blog) as to my mysterious disappearance. Perhaps in pubs and bars across the kingdom, and at water coolers in workplaces around the world, there has only been one topic of conversation: Fielding. Where has he gone?

The mystery can now be solved.

I was rumbled. The game is up. The cat has been let out of the bag and is sunning itself in the Orangery Garden.

Fortunately it was not Lady Carstone who found me out. No, the figure that exposed me was the Lodge Keeper we all know as Llywelyn. Of course, that is not his real name, but, when searching for supernatural tales on the internet (yes, Google, I am glaring at you!) he stumbled across a rather familiar little scene. It was not hard for a keen mind like Llywelyn's to recognise himself. There are very few Lodge Keepers around these days, still fewer who are Welsh, have a fascination for ghosts, and have recently taken a butler on a nocturnal supernatural tour of a historic house.

The game, as I have said, was well and truly up. My identity was shot to pieces.

Cowering from the icy finger of truth that was pointed towards me, I went into hiding somewhat. Not only did I not update this site, but I also tried to avoid venturing near the Lodge Gates, and whenever I saw Llywelyn in the gardens I pretended not to see him, and became absolutely fascinated by whatever plant was in front of me at the time. Barton would have been impressed by my sudden horticultural interest.

Yesterday, however, the inevitable, as it so often does, happened. Llywelyn approached me near the entrance porch to Carstone, and just as I was wondering how quickly a butler could run the 100 metres across gravel, he called out in a not unfriendly manner. This stopped me in my tracks. He then started to reproach me for not updating this blog. He pointed out the inaccurate (in his eyes) portrait I had painted of him, but on the whole he found it very amusing. I can only assume that Lodge Keepers get so little press these days (positive or otherwise) that Llywelyn was grateful for anything that could shine a light on that noble profession.

So this blog is not necessarily dead. So long as Llywelyn's silence can be bought (presumably with something of liquid form) there is no real reason why this rather odd diary cannot continue.

Llywelyn has made it clear however, that he would sometimes like to post on these pages himself. He has agreed to use the nom I have given him to maintain whatever semblance of secrecy remains.

I fear I have no choice but to accede to his request.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One quiet word to Llywellyn.
My dear man, you do understand the importance of keeping this our little secret, don't you? Fielding is a good old sport. Maybe we'll soon see the appearance of the cook (I would appreciate an exchange of recipes now and then to be honest), but until then mum's the word. You're a good egg. Ta.

8:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholly concur, Llywelyn old chap, with the above words of Aunt Agatha. And if you know what's good for you, you will quietly obey an Aunt's slightest wish! Thanks for your kind cooperation!

8:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, don't give the game away Llywelyn. Mum's the word.

There is so much we have yet to learn, such as:

What DID happen to the dinner gong hammer?

What WAS Barton up to in the garden that evening a few weeks ago?

Was Miles Carstone's poetry evening a success?

Has Sir Geoffrey come out of hiding (from said poetry evening) yet?

Will the cook ever be cheerful?

Don't spoil it now Llywelyn, there's a good egg.

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A plea from the Antipodies, Llywellyn! Play along my good chap, we want to find out about the gong.

PS Sorry about the rugby.

9:56 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

lululemon, nike roshe run, nike air max, air max, nike free run uk, nike roshe, new balance pas cher, sac guess, ray ban uk, lacoste pas cher, michael kors, nike air max, ray ban pas cher, nike blazer, true religion jeans, burberry, air jordan pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, nike free, true religion jeans, ralph lauren pas cher, coach outlet, hollister, hollister pas cher, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, vans pas cher, north face, hogan, timberland, replica handbags, tn pas cher, hermes, michael kors, louboutin pas cher, nike trainers, nike air max, air force, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, michael kors, sac longchamp, mulberry, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren uk, oakley pas cher, nike huarache, north face

6:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll just bookmark this web site.
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/get-rid-of-cockroaches-8.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/get-rid-of-cockroaches-7.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/get-rid-of-cockroaches-6.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/get-rid-of-cockroaches-5.html

12:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

شمعة الشهاب الساقط أشهر التقنيات لقراءة وتحليل الأسهم وبورصة العملة، ويعتبر أول من اخترع طريقة الشموع اليابانية التجار اليابانيون

6:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home