Tales From The Pantry: A Butler's Diary

From the pantry of an historic country house comes the ongoing diary of its butler, Mr Dean Fielding. I shall be giving you a glimpse of the family I serve and of the lives both 'Below Stairs' and 'Above'. I hope you follow my jottings daily.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Have been butler here for over 15 years. Having previously, and unusually for these days, worked my way up from footman to under-butler to my current post. You can now follow me on Twitter via: http://www.twitter.com/butlerfielding

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Odd Gift


I was deeply moved yesterday morning to discover a small envelope waiting for me on the Servant's Hall table. It contained a pair of pince-nez and a kind note from my erstwhile employer. Obviously deciding that contact lenses (which, of course, I have never worn, or for that matter, owned) were a curse upon me, and that if this terrible affliction continued something really bad might happen, such as tea being delayed, Sir Geoffrey sent me what he saw as a more than adequate substitute. That was an enormously kind gesture. It is just a shame that I don't really need them. I DID try to tell him the truth but, perhaps thinking that I was about to be emotional in my thanks, he waved me away. I shall store them somewhere safe.

The Wendy situation seems to be an ongoing one, which is of great concern to me. I have a lot of sympathy for her. Affairs of the heart are not totally alien to me. I must, however, hope that this dark cloud passes soon. Copeland pointed out that he saw her gazing out of the window for quite a considerable time yesterday morning neglecting her work completely. It is a good job that Lady Blanche is not coming tomorrow. I feel that the House would not look as sparkling as it did last week. Perhaps I should have a chat with her. Something avuncular in tone might prove beneficial.

The Tradesman's Entrance door needed a new lock. Mr Collins came in to fix it. Mrs Berry will be relieved. She was getting tired of deliveries turning up at her door. It was also rather irritating for her to have servants traipsing through the Housekeeper's Room to depart the House. As she pointed out (repeatedly): "If it were winter, I would be freezing with that door open all the time!" Of course it is not winter and I can only imagine that the light breeze was refreshing, but her point is nevertheless a valid one. Mrs Berry has a mortal fear of draughts. Perhaps a great-great-aunt of hers was felled by one in Victorian times. Victorians always seemed to die from 'chills.' Could a family tragedy be behind it all? Quite possibly.

Have decided to play host to Llywelyn in my butler's flat. It is only fair considering we met at the Lodge Gates last time. The summit meeting shall take place tomorrow night. I shall avoid the topic of ghosts.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you call Sir Geoffrey your "erstwhile employer"? He hasn't given you the sack, has he?

8:35 pm  
Blogger Mr Fielding said...

I sincerely hope the slip I made was not precognitive. I had intended, and indeed thought, I had typed 'esteemed'.

A mere slip of the keyboard from a very busy butler.

I am secure in this job, as far as I am led to believe.

7:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The relief is stupendous!

8:16 pm  
Blogger Mr Fielding said...

Thank you Mr Bruce. Glad to find another butler amongst us. Please check your emails. I've popped a message off to you.

2:41 pm  
Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20151009 junda
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Clearance
Authentic Louis Vuitton Belts Outlet Store
Official Coach Factory Outlet Online Sale
michael kors handbag
timberland boots for women
Michael Kors Outlet Online No Tax
air max 90
michael kors uk
fit flops
cheap uggs
coach factory outlet
Jordan 13 Shoes For Sale
Coach Outlet Store Online Shop
ralph lauren uk
Louis Vuitton Luxury Official Website
celine
michael kors handbags
Jordan 6 Rings Powder Blue
Michael Kors Online Outlet Shop
nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet sale
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale
michael kors outlet
Abercrombie And Fitch Kids Online
Michael Kors Outlet Real Handbags Online
uggs australia
burberry outlet
Christian Louis Vuitton Red Bottoms
Abercrombie & Fitch Factory Outlet
ugg boots

9:43 am  
Anonymous Cara Alami Mengobati Ginjal Bocor said...

The article is very helpful, thanks for sharing information

Pengobatan Fistula Ani Tanpa Operasi

2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home